CALL 911 OR YOUR LOCAL HEALTH CARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU HAVE ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS:
- Tingling of the lips and tongue (can begin within minutes of eating toxic shellfish or may take an hour or two to develop)
- Tingling of fingers and toes
- Loss of muscle control in the arms and legs
- Difficulty breathing
- A sense of floating or nausea
- Paralysis (particularly of the chest and abdomen)
Death can occur in a matter of hours. Treatment is supportive care, which may require mechanical ventilation.
There is no antitoxin.
(If your are not currently experiencing these symptoms, but suspect you had shellfish poisoning recently and want to talk to somebody about it, find a local contact person here)