In people, shellfish poisoning can start within minutes to hours of consuming toxic shellfish.
CALL 911 OR YOUR LOCAL HEALTH CARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU HAVE ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS:
- Tingling of the lips and tongue
- Tingling of fingers and toes
- Loss of muscle control in the arms and legs
- Difficulty breathing
- A sense of floating or nausea
- Paralysis (particularly of the chest and abdomen)
Death can occur in a matter of hours. Treatment is supportive care, which may require mechanical ventilation.
There is no antitoxin.
Commonly harvested shellfish species that may accumulate HAB toxins (Alaska Department of Fish and Game).
If your are not currently experiencing these symptoms, but suspect you had shellfish poisoning recently and want to talk to somebody about it, contact your local health care provider. If you don’t know who to contact locally, you can contact the AHAB Coordinator to get connected with the appropriate resources.