The Alaska Ocean Acidification Network has a teaching kit geared for middle and high school students available for a two-week check-out period. We are piloting the kit in 2019, by making it available at no cost to high school teachers in the Anchorage School District. The lesson plans and other resources for teaching about ocean acidification can also be downloaded below. Links to additional ocean acidification teaching resources for all grade levels can be found on the For Educators page on this website.
The lesson plans in the kit are designed to to familiarize students with the causes and consequences of ocean acidification, the process by which our ocean is becoming more acidic. In addition to the lesson plans and resources for the lesson plans, the kit includes the supplies and equipment for two experiments.
Lesson 1 includes a simple hands-on experiment, a short PowerPoint, and optional readings with worksheets. In Lesson 2, students conduct a more in-depth experiment with electronic probes to simulate the process of ocean acidification. A pre- and post- survey is included for each lesson plan. Each lesson will require approximately an hour.
By clicking any of the links to download the lesson materials, you acknowledge that C-MORE educational materials may be reproduced for educational, non-commercial purposes only.
Complete lesson plans (without teacher answer keys; 3 MB PDF)
For teacher answer key, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lesson 1 Resources:
- “Ocean Acidification” Issue (Current: The Journal of Marine Education, 5 MB PDF)
- “Scientists Unveil ‘Honolulu Declaration’ to Address Ocean Acidification” (nature.org, PDF)
- “The Dangers of Ocean Acidification” (Scientific American, 2 MB PDF)
- “Oceans of Acid: How Fossil Fuels Could Destroy Marine Ecosystems” (NOVA Next) and Comprehension questions (PDF) developed for Common Core Standards
Lesson 2 Resources:
- PowerPoint: Ocean Acidification – Will the reef survive – NARRATED (44 MB)
- PowerPoint: Ocean Acidification – Will the reef survive – NON-NARRATED (4 MB)
- Student worksheet for Lesson 2: Yeast Experiment developed for Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
Questions? Email email@example.com.