AOOS staff and contest judges were extremely impressed by the 32 films (including 8 youth films) submitted to the AOOS 10th Anniversary Short Film Contest. Entries were 10 minutes or less and could address any aspect of Alaska’s marine environment, issues, or inhabitants.
Prizes will be awarded at the AOOS 10th Anniversary Celebration at the Anchorage Museum on Nov 19th, where four of the top films will be screened. We will be highlighting each of the entries separately on the AOOS website during 2015. Also keep an eye out for an evening of contest films at the Alaska Marine Science Symposium in January.
- Winner: Wilderness Explorers Day Cruise, Arina Filippenko and Calesia Monroe
- Best treatment of a complicated subject: Kodiak Crab Divers and Hatchery Red King Crab, Marina Cumminskey
(Youth winners will receive go-pro cameras)
- Judges Choice (Grand Prize, $1,000): Siblings at Sea, Charlie Ess
- Honorable Mention ($300): Grateful for Salmon, Margaret Bursch
- Best treatment of a complicated subject: Gyre: Art from a Plastic Ocean, JJ Kelly
- Best Editing: The Science Behind Managing Shark Populations in Alaskan Waters, DeAnna Morris
- Best Videography: Spring Passage, Patrick Farrell